I like the X-Men character Jubilee, and it was great to see her reappear in comics after a rather prolonged hiatus. Kathryn Immonen and Phil Noto did a wonderful job dealing with what could have been a disaster for the character in being made a vampire. Instead they avoided the Twilight cliches and made “Wolverine and Jubilee” a truly excellent mini-series.
They also seem to have made Jubilee a LOT more badass than other vampires that appeared in the preceeding Adjective-less X-Men. How badass is she? As shown in the above pic, she can throw train carriages around and smash four story tall dragons with them. But because we like to be able to boil that down to a numerical value, some highschool physics abuse is included below.
Executive Summary: Jubilee is at least as strong as Colossus now.
First I need to make a few estimates about the weight of the train carriage and how fast it is going after it’s thrown. I’m going to assume the train carriage is thrown at 15 m/s (~50 km/h - the speed you drive your car around town). This is a reasonable low level estimate as
- The Dragon doesn’t have time to get out of the way
- The Train knocks the much larger dragon backwards with considerable speed, and thus must have been going very fast itself
- The Train severely crumples on impact
Now heavy rail cars weigh a lot. Multi-floor passenger cars can weigh over 60 tonnes. This one’s only single floor though, so I’ll make another low end estimate and say ~10 tonnes.
Jubilee gets between the carriage and the rest of the train, and appears to kick off the remainder of the train to get the carriage moving. Because there are a lot of other carriages in the train, I’ll assume they collectively weigh too much to move significantly as Jubilee kicks off.
The force she applies is the change in momentum/change in time.
Now we need to figure out how much time Jubilee has to accelerate the carriage (Δt). We know she brings the train up to speed with a single kickoff, so the distance she has to accelerate the train across is limited to the distance her legs can extend from a curled up position to fully straight while still touching the neighbouring carriage, probably 1 m or less. The average speed over that period will be (assuming constant acceleration of the carriage) half the carriage’s final speed. The time it takes her and the carriage to move that 1m is just the distance divided by the average speed of the train carriage over that period.
Δt=1 m / 7.5 m/s
Plugging all that stuff into the equation
m(train)=10000 kg, Δv(train)=15 m/s
Which is enough to lift over 112 Tonnes against earth gravity. Colossus is stated as being able to lift 100 tonnes, Monet St Croix 10 tonnes, and Dracula, lord of all vampires only 4 Tonnes. There is enough uncertainty in the estimates I made to call Colossus and Jubilee about equal. But it is clear Jubilee could wipe the face off Monet’s smile (deliberate word order reversal) if they ever meet again and Monet forgets Jubilee’s warning to her back in gen-X.
As for Dracula, maybe Marvel have decided to upscale all the high end vampires’ strength to make them a threat for the Marvel superheroes, so the older figure of 4 tonnes no longer applies. The regular vampires seemed weak as hell in adjective-less though, with thousands of them being defeated by 25 X-Men on Utopia. I dare say that 25 Vampire Jubilee Clones with super-speed and Colossus-level strength could quite easily take an equivalent number of X-Men in a fight.
- nameihateforever likes this
- pelicanman reblogged this from mightyherring
- pelicanman likes this
- unflavour3d likes this
- zamboni-whisperer reblogged this from vampirejubilee and added:
- insaneartisticnerd reblogged this from mightyherring and added:
- youngtitan213 likes this
- nidira reblogged this from vampirejubilee and added:
- fuckyeahmagnus likes this
- theworldneedsheroes reblogged this from pewpewcomics
- pewpewcomics reblogged this from fuckyeahpaf
- theninjabat likes this
- nerdynerdynerd reblogged this from vampirejubilee and added:
- vampirejubilee reblogged this from imakefireinthesky and added:
- pewpewcomics likes this
- fuckyeahpaf reblogged this from mightyherring
- imakefireinthesky reblogged this from mightyherring and added:
- imakefireinthesky likes this
- mightyherring posted this